RecipesSEE ALL RECIPES
Donal Skehan’s Cowboy Beans on Toast
- 4 slices of Hearty Grains & Seeds from The Rustik Oven
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- ½ lbs sausage
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dark brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups passata
- 14 oz can mixed beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups kale, hard stalks removed
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat one tablespoon of the oil in a large sauté pan over a low heat. Add the onion and sauté for 4-5 minutes until softened, stirring occasionally. Increase the heat to medium/high and add the garlic and bacon and fry until golden. Tip the sausage meat into the pan, breaking up with a wooden spoon to give you small pieces. Fry for another 5 minutes or until the sausage has picked up some color and is golden.
- Preheat broiler to high.
- Stir through the smoked paprika and brown sugar to coat the meat. Add the Worcestershire sauce and passata and simmer for 15-20 minutes until slightly thickened. Stir through the mixed beans and roughly tear the kale into the pan, allow to simmer for another 2-3 minutes until the beans have heated through and kale is wilted. Season with a little salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- While the beans are cooking through, place the bread on a baking tray and then under the broiler for 30 seconds each side until golden. Top with the beans and mozzarella and place back under the broiler until golden and bubbling.
- Sprinkle over a little black pepper and serve.